Date of Birth
11 January 1961
B.Proc, 1989 (University of the Witwatersrand)
History at the Court:
Appointed: 1 October 2019
Justice Tshiqi née Qingana was born in Cefane in the Easter Cape in 1961.
She obtained a B.Proc degree from the University of the Witwatersrand in 1989 and worked as legal co-ordinator for the South African Council of Churches from 1986 to 1989. She undertook articles at Neluheni attorneys from 1989 to 1991 when she was admitted as an attorney. She then went on to work at Matlala Attorneys until 1994 when she opened her own practice which she ran from 1994 to 2005. Whilst operating her own practice, she obtained an Advanced Diploma in Labour Law from the University of Johannesburg (Rand Afrikaans University, at the time), and from 1995 to 2005, she worked part time as a senior commissioner at the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration.
In 2003 and 2004, Justice Tshiqi acted as a judge of the High Court and Labour Court. In 2005 she was appointed to as a permanent judge of the Gauteng Division of the High Court, and in 2007 was appointed an acting judge on the Competition Appeal Court.
In 2009, Justice Tshiqi was appointed to the Supreme Court of Appeal where she served for ten years. Justice Tshiqi acted as a judge of the Constitutional Court from November 2014 to May 2015.
After being interviewed by the JSC in April 2019 and recommended for appointment, she was appointed with effect from 1 October 2019 to the Constitutional Court, at the same time as Justice Majiedt, by President Ramaphosa.
Selection of Judgments
- City Power (Pty) Ltd v Grinpal Energy Management Services (Pty) Ltd (CCT133/14)  ZACC 8 (http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZACC/2015/8.html)
- Coughlan NO v Road Accident Fund 2015 [ZACC] 10 (http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZACC/2015/9.html)
- Porritt and another v National Director of Public Prosecutions and others  1 All SA 169 (SCA)
- CEO, SA Social Security Agency NO and others v Cash Paymaster Services (Pty) Ltd  3 All SA 233 (SCA) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZASCA/2011/13.html)
- S v Flethcer 2009 JDR 1306 (SCA)