Date of Birth
10 February 1953
BA (1974) (Stellenbosch University), LLB (1977) (UNISA)
History at the Court:
Appointed: 12 October 2009
Retired: 31 May 2020
Justice Froneman completed his pupillage at the Pretoria Bar, where he was admitted as an advocate in 1978. He continued his practice as an advocate at the Eastern Cape Bar in Grahamstown from 1980 onwards. He obtained senior counsel status in 1990 and was appointed as a judge to the Eastern Cape High Court (previously the Eastern Cape Provincial Division of the Supreme Court) in 1994.
In 1996 Justice Froneman was appointed Deputy Judge President of the newly established Labour Court and Labour Appeal Court, a post he held until 1999. During periods of judicial leave in 1999 he attended Harvard University in a visiting capacity.
In 2002 he served as an acting judge in the Supreme Court of Appeal. From 2003 until 2008 Justice Froneman was an extraordinary professor in Public Law at the University of Stellenbosch.
In 2008 he attended the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies at Oxford University in a visiting capacity. Over the years, he has been involved in judicial training for new judges and has also participated in practical training courses for magistrates, attorneys and advocates.
Selection of Judgments written
- Billiton Aluminium SA Ltd t/a Hillside Aluminium v Khanyile and Others (CCT72/09) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2010/3.html)
- Bengwenyama Minerals (Pty) Ltd and Others v Genorah Resources (Pty) Ltd and Others (CCT39/10) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2010/26.html)
- S v Thunzi and Another (CCT81/09) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2010/27.html)
- Gundwana v Steko Development CC and Others (CCT44/10) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2011/14.html)
- Haffejee NO and Others v eThekwini Municipality and Others (CCT110/10) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2011/28.html)
- Occupiers of Saratoga Avenue v City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality and Another (CCT12/12) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2012/9.html)
- Schubart Park Residents’ Association and Others v City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality and Another (CCT23/12) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2012/26.html)
- Mayelane v Ngwenyama and Another (CCT57/12) (http://www.saflii.org.za/za/cases/ZACC/2013/14.html)